Monday, May 30, 2011

Stovetop popcorn

I've been watching a couple episodes of Jim Henson's story tellers here and there, amongst all the other crazy crap I get into.  I've never seen them before, and I'm entranced by them.  I think I remember being petrified by the opening sequence with the raven.  The series came out when I was just six.  At the moment, I'm actually quite glad I did miss them as a child.  I would not have been capable of really appreciating them at that age.  It's nice to see them fresh, so no, I don't feel I had a deprived childhood for not seeing them.  I mean, at least I saw the princess bride when it came out, and american tale, and the ninja turtles.  I didn't see many of Henson's heavier works until much later.  Labyrinth I was 17, Dark Crystal I was 20 when I first saw those.

I also finished my faucet and plugged large-ish holes from pipes that were in the hardwood floor I'm working on.  And I got some laundry and dishes done, and layed in the sun for a considerable span of time.  Anyways, here's the sink.  Note the actual water actually coming out of the tap.  Hehe.

Did you ever wish you could make just one serving of popcorn?  I don't know about you, but I find the microwave packages a problem.  You can't eat it all without feeling disgusting, and you can't save it for later.  Also, wouldn't it be nice to be able to flavor your popcorn however you like?

But we've been lead to believe that popping our own corn requires contraptions.  Expensive and hard to store contraptions.  Good news - it's not so!  All you need is a pot with a lid, in actuality.

Stovetop popcorn
(makes one serving, and no more, just small bowl full)
(sorry my pot is a little scorched from this, but a little steel wool pad takes it right up, I just didn't bother before the pictures)

Pour about 3 tablespoons olive oil into the pot
put 1/4 cup popping corn in
Set stovetop to very lowest heat
All told this takes about 8 minutes.
The trick is to cut the heat and set the lid ajar as soon as the popping slows.  Any longer and it will scorch.

Using a sloted serving spoon, put the popped corn in a bowl.  Then flavor it if you like, it's also great plain.  My two favorite flavors are below.  Regular butter and salt, or maple pie!

Flavoring as regular butter and salt:
Place the thinnest sliver of butter you can manage on top while it's still pipping hot, and/or salt.  Stir just a little to distribute the butter and salt to all the corn.

Flavoring as maple pie!
While still pipping hot, drizzle about 1 teaspoon maple syrup on top of the popcorn, and stir to distribute.  Then sprinkle just a little apple pie spice on top and stir again.

I hope you love this as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment