Tuesday, May 24, 2011

On cupboards and companionship

Really, does anybody else feel like the combination of a garden, house, bird and cat are more than enough companionship?  They sure do keep me busy!  Gardens are the best companions.  If only they could help with the chores, that's the only thing that would make them better.  If they could help with chores and projects I would want for nothing.  I love being here.

Cozy spots


Food
 

Beautiful blooms

 


Gorgeous views


And a wonderful dose of dirt, weeds and any other sort of soul food I could think of.
And this is all just today!

As for the house, my hardwood floor project has sure been keeping me busy too (which I'll share here eventually, like when it's done and I can show all at once).

The bird makes for nice music, he's a canary and a fine singer.  The cat is a silly talkative little bugger wanting constant attention.


So I was thinking it might be good to review some of the basics I keep in the cupboard for baking and cooking!  Starting with the easy basics and followed by some special occasion stuffs.

  • Corn flour (Make sure it's really wheat free, most are mixes, and watch out for cross contamination on the shelf.  I've done well with Hodgesons, and they're non-GMO too.  The local Save-a-lot also has "Maseca" generic brand tortilla flour and that's done well for me too and is a finer texture which is nice, plus it's super cheep.)
  • Grits
  • Eggs
  • Milk
  • Olive Oil
  • Baking Powder
  • Xanthan Gum (crumbliness preventer, readily available in any store that has an organic section, mostly the stores around here stock Bob's Red Mill brand.  It's about $12 a little bag, and that will last forever, keep it in the freezer.)
  • Brown Sugar
  • Baking Cocoa
  • Peanut butter
  • Apples
  • Garden Produce of course!!
Having said all that, did anyone else ever have their junior high home economics teacher tell them there's a safety reason the microwave beeps??  If you went to my junior high then sorry, but I know you had the same teacher.  On being questioned I became completely unsure of the soundness of her warning.

According to our home ec. teacher, and I don't remember her name, it is not safe to open the microwave before it's done beeping.  She said this is because the beeps are set to stop only after all the microwaves have cleared from the cooking area.  If you open it too soon then the waves will get out and get you, she said!  I'm not sure at all if this is bogus.  Does anyone have some input?

Well anyways, have a great night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment