Monday, May 2, 2011

Garden Quiche - glutenless

OK, so it's time to bring out some of my favorites from my prior blog.  If I'm going to make this a even close to 50% a food blog, when all I'm thinking about is the garden, and the hardwood floor renovation project, then I need a little help from my past.  I created this recipe about 2 years ago.  This recipe is so fun, easy, and very forgiving!


My quiche has no crust and is just chock full of possibilities and options.  It's gluten free and any ingredient can be swapped except probably not the eggs.


Start by prepping the a pie pan as follows.  
Pour approximately 3 tablespoons olive oil into the bottom of a pie pan
Tilt the pan around until oil covers the bottom of the pan evenly at about .5 cm thickness
Take GF Rice Flour (or other GF flour that tolerates high heats) and sprinkle about 2tsp over the oil


Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Next prep the pie filling as follows:
In a frying pan, heat up any combination of the following:
Ground meat
Thinly sliced meats
bacon
Fresh or Frozen vegetables
Fresh or Frozen fruits
Example:
for this I sauteed up 1/2 cups black currants, 1/2 cup onions and  from the freezer then put that in a bow and in the same pan then sauteed 5 half strips of bacon and 2 cups zucchini chunks.

In a small bowl, whisk together 
5 eggs
1/4 cup milk
Your favorite spice (I like to add about 1.5 tsp cumin)


Cut half inch or smaller cubes cheese, about 1/2 cup, set aside.

The amounts listed in the ingredients make just one quiche, in this example I had doubled the recipe.

Put the heated ingredients (meats and vegetables listed above) in the oiled pie pan.  Arrange them so they cover the bottom of the pie pan and are arranged at an even thickness.  It's best to put the meats in first, then the vegetables over top of that, the flavor of the meat is more savory that way.  Do not pile in the middle and spread, just spoon them in evenly to keep the oil and flour base in tact.   

Put the cubed cheese atop the vegetables and meat.

Pour the egg mixture over all this in the pie pan.


Put this in the oven at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes.
Let cool, slice into pie slices and enjoy!  The eggs make it very seasonal for Oestara/Easter.  I really hope you enjoy this.  

A few other veggies and fruits I've used from the garden to make this are broccoli, snap peas, tomatoes, peppers, blueberries, fennel, turnip, radish, spinach, carrots and many others!  Have fun with it!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog the other day when I was looking for a recipe to use Mayer Lemons. You can buy nutritional yeast online through Tengu Natural Foods, which is a shop based in Japan (Saitama, I think?). It's good on popcorn! And it's nothing like active yeast. read more

    ReplyDelete