Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Icing (for a cake)

So first I should note that the only special ingredient that I keep on hand at all times is Coconut flour.  I get it at amazon.com because it really isn't carried in any stores.  It's always in my freezer because it makes the best cakes and stuff.  I don't need much, just a bit, killer good.

So July 9th we are celebrating the "triple mega birthday" in my family.  My little brother is turning 21 in late June, Dad turning 60 the 9th and me 30 on the 10th.  So we figure we better celebrate kinda big.

So as the date arrives I'll have a couple recipes for sweets.  Why?  Because if I don't make it, I don't get any!

But honestly there's some great gluten free cake mixes out there these days.  That's less of a problem unless you really feel like having something special.... or if you're bored with the mixes your store carries.

The real problem is icing!  Well... the real problem is modified food starch.  It's getting more common for companies to specify what "food" they have modified the starch from.  So modified corn starch is safe.  But the cheapest starch to modify is from wheat, so if it just says "food" it's probably not safe.  And almost all icing has modified food starch.  Especially the sugar free stuff.  Ugh, glutenless it is not.

So I have two icings for you.  One is decadent and more fattening than you can shake a stick at, the other is smooth and delicious and can be made diabetic friendly.

Okay, so decadence in the form of Mint Chocolate Chip Icing that tastes like the ice cream.....

Cream together:
3 packages (8 oz size) cream cheese
2 cups brown sugar

Stir in 1 Tablespoon peppermint extract
Stir in 1 cup mini dark chocolate chips.



And this one can be made sugar free - pudding icing.


In 3/4 cup skim milk
dissolve 1 package instant pudding (again, watch out for modified food starch)
I used white chocolate flavor last time, pick your favorite, and to make it diabetic friendly, use sugar free instant pudding.
Beat until mostly smooth, the tiny bumps will smooth naturally with a little time


Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Beat on increasing speed from low to high as it thickens


It's really fun to put one thin layer of icing on, then put diced strawberries down and put another layer of icing on top!  I did this in the image below, then put slices on top as decoration.  
The reason that counter top isn't ugly is because it's my mom's counter, at Easter.  This was my easter cake.


Either of these recipes thickly ice a 9" round or thinly ices a 9x12 cake.

So it's about to storm and I gots to go to bed!  'Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment