Thursday, May 19, 2011

Balsamic Pickled Garlic (as an after-thought)

Incoming Strawberries!  Duck and cover!  The strawberries I planted from bare root plants on April 7th are already doing this:


And also right now the sky is doing this:


It's a nice rainless night finally in the glutenless garden.  Pittsburgh has been receiving rain nearly every day for about 2.5 months.  At least the tomatoes seem to be happy about it.  Here they are eagerly popping out of the top of their frost shelter, which is an old Hawaiian punch jug with the bottom cut off.


My clematis are blooming, the asparagus is still doing well, and I'm contemplating balsamic pickled garlic on a salad.

Oh!  These are the kinds of things that I don't even think of as recipes.  Goodness, let me just change the title of this post right now.  (I was going to call it incoming strawberries.)  I just was thinking of something I had in my fridge.  It's yummy I want some.  But perhaps you'd like some, too?  Let me just run downstairs and take a picture real quick.

Do you want to know how to make balsamic pickled garlic?  It's so easy!

Put 1/2 to 1 cup balsamic vinegar in a jar.
Slice several garlic cloves into small disks.  Slice enough to pack in the jar but not have any sticking up above the vinegar.  You can add more vinegar if you want to make more fit below the vinegar line.
Seal jar and place in fridge for about 2 weeks before using.
Keeps for a year if kept cold.  Garlic only gets sweeter with time.

Best if you use your own garden grown garlic.  My jar is getting low because I made a large batch in fall when the garlic was fresh.
Oh my god, I'm so hungry now!  I must have some now!!  Dinner salad, here I come.

No comments:

Post a Comment