Sunday, August 12, 2012

CombODDnation: Baby 'Mater Sauce

We've had a couple of cool days here.  Downright chilly at times, it's almost as bizarre as it was having summer in April.  If it lasts more than a few days, it may be more so on the unusual factor.

This week, my favorite Lego Yogurt flavor is clove and cinnamon, by the way.  Last week I was using honey instead of brown sugar, which was so different, almost savory.

So yesterday I made sauce from the zillions of baby tomatoes that are growing in the rear plot.  These little guys are volunteers so I don't know what variety they are, probably some cross breed.  And I will note that it's a little odd to fire up the canning supplies for 16 ounces of can-ables (which is different than cannibals entirely) but that's what I did and it wasn't as much of a fuss as I thought it would be.  But I think I should have added lemon juice for the acidity, and didn't, so we'll see how well the sauce holds in storage.  And you remember the lemon juice, okay?


It's seedy, but it's delicious.  Not exactly your Italian grandmother's sauce, but freaking yummy.  And who wants to be wasteful with all the amazing harvest, afterall?  Oh, and the first cayenne grated into the mix, wizard.  Could have used two, it isn't that spicy.  My fingers were spicy, though, oh my!


And I cooked and cooked on the smallest burner at the lowest heat setting.  Which worked because, as I said, it was darn near cold that day.  August got lost, November took up duty for a day or so.


When it was way cooked down I spooned it into two jars just like the ball book says to do, and gave them the canning bath.  The result is in my cupboard.


And I ATE the rest on some chicken.  Yummmmmmmmm.  :)  There was less than an 8 oz jar left after, which looked like dinner.  Here's dinner!


I love being not wasteful.  :)  Need to eat the rest of that cabbage head in the frigger.  It's early for cabbage coming ripe, you know.  Maybe I can plant another stand of them?  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment