Wednesday, August 8, 2012

EatNote: Almond Milk

So it turns out I'm backwards; Almond milk makes me ill.  But I gave it a good solid try before switching back to cow and had a few thoughts to share with anyone who is giving it a try.  I have a different but equally not-fun response to soy milk.  I can handle little bits of either, and tolerate them better when they have been heated than when cold, but over all, it's a failure. 

But for starters, I want to ramble.  See, I have this theory that the generations of milk and dairy farmers going back through my family have caused me some unique evolutionary traits.  Seriously.  I'm not kidding. 

Why?
Well.

It is incredibly common to those with Gluten problems to also have milk problems.  Cow milk problems.  I can literally live off of nothing more than cow milk... for days.  I have done.  It works fantastically.  Also unique to my existence is just how quickly the elimination of red meat from my diet triggers anemia for me.  I need cow products.  Seriously.   If I start to feel dizzy on a regular basis, my first thought is "when's the last time I've had cow meat?"  And I add it to the grocery list.  One day when I have money I really would like to start buying organic cow products for my health.

There still are cow farmers in the distant family, still in the same region as great grandfather and all his lineage had.  About 15 years ago they switched from milk to beef because of cost.  I got quite the instruction as to costs involved in cattle rearing based on product desired once that I visited.

So, yeah, there's that. 

However, during a couple months of trying to use Almond Milk while trying to determine why I was unhealthy more often than usual, I learned a few things.

First, it doesn't need heat for as long, can stand higher heat temperatures, and isn't going to end up with that gross skin on the surface that happens when you overheat cow milk.  Basically, microwaving 1 cup of cow milk for 3 minutes at 80% is the same as 1:45 minutes at 100% with almond milk.  In the oven and on the skillet, shorter and hotter cooking times are also applicable.  Up by 25 degrees and down by 15% of the total cook time is about right.

It doesn't turn your coffee as light a color.  Don't base your expectation of the creaminess of your coffee on the color of the mixed liquid.  It will be creamier than it looks.

It's dryer.  I needed greater quantities in baking than the amount of cow milk being called for in the recipe.  Like 1/4 cup more.  Or an extra egg.  Things dried out in the oven if treated normally.

So there you are.  Almond milk tips.  Considering how poorly I handled it, these will be the only tips on the matter from me.  I don't like being ill.  The whole I'm-fine-when-it's-heated thing really made it difficult to point to what was going wrong, glad that's sorted and I'm back to healthy me. 

Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment