Wednesday, October 10, 2012

CombODDnation: Sausage Foldovers (+bonus:organizing)

 So, I've made stuffed sausage before, though I've never shown it to you.  Here, I'll show it to you now.  It will all be clear in a moment.


Then after I thought I had the stuffed sausage idea perfected, something even more yummy happened one day.  Sausage foldovers.

Don't worry, clarity will be obtained momentarily.  I promise.  And the above idea will be clear as day, and then you'll be able to do both stuffed sausage and sausage foldovers.  I promise.

But first!  Yeah, I like doing this whole tangent thing whenever I have your attention.  Have you noticed?
Anyways.
Yeah, so, first...
Let's talk about organizing!  (Huh?  Why?)
Well, I dunno, I'm a really busy person with nary time for keeping up with my trappings and even less motivation on the idea.  I like knowing where things should go but I really suck at actually consistently putting them in the spots I've decided on.

Results are that I end up with a sort of broken binary system; seriously: "It's either here, or it's there.  No?  Maybe either here or there?  No.  Well then I just don't know where it is, it's lost."  If you've ever lost something so well that the house ends up cleaner from the effect of looking for it, then you definitely understand me.  If not, then you can ignore me, you don't need my input.  Skip to sausage.

So my key to success is making it easy to put things away.  My favorite key is having "away" be the same place where something is most frequently used.  Second favorite key is labeled bins.  I'll show you each then I'll shut up about containers and move on to food.

Labeled bins... pick categories and use your shelves to the max?
I really love how I can just throw things in these bins haphazardly and they'll still be easy to find the next time I need them.

Baking supplies has in it...

Spices has in it...

The heavier things go on the lower shelves, or they're darned much a struggle to lift down.
Tea is what it sounds like.  Remedies is all basically herbals, vitamins, prescription leftovers, cold remedies and the like.  The wooden box is.... actually band-aides.  The little one called Measures segues me to the next thing.

Lives where it's used:

I have several sets of measuring thingies.  This has been accomplished by clever use of rummage sales.  In addition to the bin labeled "measures" which serves as the staging ground for measuring other sorts of what-not, I have several containers of dry stuffs that have a measure that "lives" in there.  The most commonly used measure employed for the item is the one destined for this purpose.  Tablespoon in the cocoa powder.  Cup measure in the corn flour (one with lines on it marking 1/4 and 1/2).   Etcetera.  It's that simple, really.

Only other thing to say for right now is that I store stuff I use frequently in clear containers so I know when I'm running out of it.  Coconut shreds, beans, and popcorn kernels, for example.  And, I think I've bored you enough, so...

Yeah, we're back to Sausage.  Starting with the spices!
 Put a table spoon each of fennel seed and cumin plus a teaspoon of hot pepper flakes (or to taste) on a large plate.  You'll be working with about 3 pounds ground meat product for this amount of spice and it will be pretty hot.  Feel free to use any spices that make you happy.  Fennel, Cumin and pepper heat makes me happy.

In portions, kneed the ground meat onto the spice plate, folding until the spice is well incorporated.  Make several, set them aside.


Smoosh each of these patties very flat on the plate, put a leaf of chard on top, then a dolup of cream cheese on top of that.  Fold the meat over to enclose the cream cheese, allow the chard to extend past the now taco-shaped foldover.  The picture shows construction clockwise from bottom right :)  At the top is a cooked and completed one.  Very thin pressed ground meat allows for the foldover to cook at higher temperatures so that the cheeses melt nicely.


 Cook on each side for about 15 minutes on oiled skilled medium-low heat.  Cook up the extra greens while your at it, they make a great fried greens side dish.


Enjoy!  Have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment