Sunday, October 7, 2012

CombODDnation: beet chicken roast

First off, look at this cute web covered in dew in the morning in my fence.  So small and intricate, I can't get over it.  This is a concession, I'd really LIKE to show you the up-close zoom picture of the large and amazing looking arachnid colored black and gold in my garden, but I'm sure that won't sit well with many.  So a cute little web in a fence finial bedazzled with shimmering dew, it is.

So I made beet chicken.  I said something about it in my soft diet post a bit ago.  And here it is!


This was so yummy and so simple.  Here's what I did.
Stick a chicken in a pan.  (Make sure there's not gizzards still in the cavity.)
Cup up beets (these are from my garden) put some in the cavity and the rest in the pan around the chicken.
Pour about 2 cups water in pan.  (Make sure not to drown the chicken because the beets make it so red that the submerged parts will be hard to tell if they are fully cooked, you'll have to watch your pop-up timer and also cut into the above-beet-water part of the bird to test for done-ness.)
Drizzle with molasses (optional, nice touch.)

It'll look like this and be ready to stick in the oven.

So, my joy of cooking says cook at 400 degrees until thigh registers at 180 degress, which for a 4 pound bird is 55-65 minutes, plus 8 minutes for each additional pound.

So that's what I did.  This was a 5lbs bird so I cooked at 400 degrees for an hour-10.

And cutting into it, it looks gorgeous, except that it's blurry.  Steam.  Yup, steam makes for blurry photos.  Sorry!  Anyways:
 It just fell apart on the fork, so tender.
The thigh and leg took on a lot of the color of the beets, bright and cheery!
So there you have it, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment