Sunday, October 7, 2012

CombODDnation: flip-spiced eggs



I've been getting Amish eggs at the farmer's market.  Not only do they accept my copiously collected egg cartons (dang do I ever have too many)  but these eggs are delicious and the chickens are well kept and I actually get to meet the people who produce them.  Basically, I'll be sad in winter when this luxury is no longer right outside my workplace door every Friday.  I'm such a sucker for convenience it's downright sad.

So I have this lovely little trick for what I call flip-spiced eggs.


Preheat your skillet on low and gather up your spices.  Once the egg's on there, you're gonna have to act fast!

To spice my eggs this time, I used: fresh sliced garden cayenne and whole fennel seeds.
(You can use all kinds of whatever suits your fancy, cumin is fantastic, hot pepper flakes, curry, or whatever you like to have, go for it.)
Whatever you're spicing with, have it ready now, before you get started.

Oil the skillet and spread oil evenly.  I use olive oil.  Put the egg(s) on.

Now's the time to ACT FAST: put your spices on your egg before it cooks.


If you don't like runny eggs, you have the option to cut the yoke now, which I did on my second batch to show you.


Doing more than one egg will require you to divide the eggs before you can flip it, which is easy peasy to do. Just use your flipper to draw a line down the middle and they're separated to flip one part at a time.

Now flip the egg over when the middle starts to look mostly well done.


Cook it on side two for just a moment, long enough to finish cooking through, and then serve!  Add more oil to the skillet if you're going to cook a second batch.


Wasn't that easy?  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment