Monday, January 13, 2014

CombODDnation: Blackbean brownies re-up

I took these to my mom, who eats normal food all the time, and she declared these were like a semi-sweet fudge.  My brother and his girlfriend agreed on the yumminess verdict.  I think that is a good enough review to warrant posting.  You've probably seen blackbean brownie recipes online here or there, and if you haven't, you easily can.  The idea is easily googleable.  I just overhauled the more common recipe to suit me, and I find it to be better than the original, so here it is.  

Ingredients, to start:
3 cups black beans (I used beans that are cooked from dry-pack to reduce salt content as compared to canned.  After cooking a large batch of black beans, I freeze three cup portions in mason jars.  I do the same with chick peas.  Because canned beans have SO much salt I can feel it.  This is, however, also the same as two 15.5 oz cans of black beans, if that is how you prefer to do this.  If using canned beans, rinse them thoroughly with hot water before using.)
3 eggs
1 cup brown sugar
3tsp baking powder
1/4c baking cocoa powder
1/2 c milled flax
1/8c olive oil
1 c semi sweet chocolate chips
(The tiny red octopus hugging an even tinier ninja is an optional component.)

Preheat to 375

SO, let's get started.  In a large food processor!  Or if you only have a small one, do it in thirds.  This 10 cup food processor is the best $50 I've ever spent, in case you were wondering.

Put 3 cup black beans and 3 eggs and blend together.

 Add 1 cup brown sugar, 3 tsp baking powder, 1/4c backing cocoa powder, 1/2c milled flax, 1/8c olive oil.
Blend together.

Add 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (these are mini chips but the size really doesn't matter at all here.)
Blend together.

You will likely need to use a spoon or spatula to get the even texture, since the edges tend to hold some of the dry ingredients in clumps and those need spread in.  You'll get this texture in the end.

Spoon into an 8x8 pan.  Spread to even thickness.

Bake for 40-45 minutes.  At 375 degrees F.  Fork should come out clean from center.

 Let cool a minimum of 5-10 minutes.  Longer if you can stand to wait a bit.  It stays extra melty for a little while, the cake structure doesn't hold up as well to cutting when it's still very hot.  But it's SO yummy when it's that warm and fresh that I couldn't wait for my first bite.  Heh.  So suit yourself.

Cut and serve, and enjoy!

The original recipe from online is copied on yellow.  I'm laying my new recipe over the old one in my photo album recipe book.


1 comment:

  1. That being said, I'm finding that having a version handy where the chocolate chips are optional is a REALLY good idea. Because when there's chocolate chips in the house, I generally just eat them before I have motivation for baking.

    So, here's that:
    http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-bean-brownies/

    ReplyDelete