Sunday, December 4, 2011

Sweet Pumpkin Beef and such

I'm watching two wet cats groom, having bathed them both, unscathed, I am simply moistened.  And I'm listening to Celtic hour on our local radio station, Sunday at 7pm 91.3 WYEP Pittsburgh.  It's a nice Sunday evening.

A bit ago I made myself pumpkin beef, it was a wild idea that happened only because I had a little pie pumpkin that was going to start to go bad if I didn't use it fast.  I also had a roast.  I looked at the two things and thought WHY NOT!


So I've got one wet cat sitting in front of the computer screen a bit, so I keep looking around him.


And the other has decided the kitchen is a better place to groom.  He takes up more space, anyways, little tank that he is.


Well, Lytkin must have learned to read, he moved over to a spot less intrusive!  Nice timing!  Bath time went very well.  I used one of those 30 gallon plastic tubs with handles in the bathtub, it saved water since filling it to neck height is less water than the old cast iron tub I have, and also provided a place to set a wet cat and hold him while he finished dripping, since only part of the bathtub base was taken up by the plastic tub.  I'll definitely be doing it that way again.

So does pumpkin beef look good to you?  Oh, it was delicious.  And the seeds were an extra treat, too!  And easy, what more could you want?

Preheat oven to 425
Cut pie pumpkin in half, remove and reserve seeds.
Place halves cup-side up in a baking pan.
Put 1/4 cup brown sugar in each half.
Put beef roast across both pumpkin halves, balancing so the fats will drain onto the pumpkin.



Baking times for 2lbs roast.  This was a bottom round roast, but most any roaster will work well.
Bake at 425 for 20 minutes to brown.
Reduce heat to 300 and bake for additional 45 minutes for med-rare.

While baking, put skillet on low heat with generous olive oil, and put the seeds in.  Don't worry if some threads are in there, then end up crazy-delicious, that surprised me too!


Stir frequently, I believe this took 10 or 15 minutes, and they come out looking likes this.  I was going to wait and put it on my beef, but instead I ate them all right then because they were so delicious.


And when the beef's done, yum yum!



And my kitties are mostly dry!  Lytkin the prince is back in this throne, and Randal's a goober as always.

 

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fantastic way to cook beef! I'm going to try it soon... Can you suggest something for the pumpkin instead of sugar? Or do you think the beef drippings will be enough for a savory dish? ( I'm trying to cut out added sugar whenever I can; it seems to make my ADHD worse when I get it. ^^;; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! That's a splendid suggestion! There are so many good reasons to reduce sugar. I think butter would be perfect to substitute. Probably 1.5 tbs per half. The melted sugar (or butter for you) does help the pumpkin cook moist instead of just dry out. Actually... olive oil would work, too, however butter would have a nicer taste I think. :)

    ReplyDelete